Monday, February 17, 2020

SpearCraft Book Box || January 2020


January 2020 SpearCraft Book Box 
Unboxing/Review



Hello friends! This year I've decided to choose one box each month to review. At this point, I don't know that I'll do this every month, or that I'll touch on every box. I'm starting with popular and/or affordable ones and just peaking around from there. Some months I might do two because I have zero impulse control.

The lovely folks of these boxes do not send me their product for review. I am choosing to spend my own money to test out different boxes and then review them.

Why? Well. Book boxes are basically the coolest thing on the planet, if you ask me. I get a book AND related goodies? Please, yes, take my money. I'm a regular subscriber to OwlCrate, whom I chose as my first ever book box last summer because they are one of the most popular (and affordable) ones out there, so I probably won't do a post on them unless it's for a Special Edition Box. So, if you're curious about some of the different boxes out there and what you can expect, maybe my little adventure here will be of use to you.

Either way, I'm just excited, so let's go!

~*~*~

SPEARCRAFT BOOK BOX || Website

Price: $29.99/mo + tax and shipping. 

  • They also have a quarterly box, that is different from their regular monthly subscription. I'm not sure the differences. 
  • Full information on membership here.

January Theme: Passport to Japan

Why did I choose this box?
SpearCraft was one of the boxes I considered waaaay back when (it was a whole 8 months ago) when I was deciding what box to get for myself first off. I couldn't find many unboxings or reviews of it, so I bypassed it in favor of one that was more consistently popular. This was my chance to give it a shot! ALSO THE THEME. January's theme was Passport to Japan and, being an avid manga/anime fan, I just couldn't pass it up. I honestly didn't even bother to investigate any other boxes before purchasing it.

THE ITEMS

  • Sushi Enamel Pin: This was super cute! The pin is small and the design simple, but I rather like the style of it. It's nicely generic sort of item that could be attributed to just about any fandom or the genre as a whole. I have a pin banner, but I think this one I'll put on my purse, as it's small enough not to clutter the space and just adds a little bit of flair. 
  • 1 box of Cookies & Cream Pocky: Bonus points for the pocky, SpearCraft friends. Brownie points - or, shall I even dare say it? - pocky points. Okay no, but seriously - this was probably one of the most perfect items to include in a box like this. They're these candy-covered little biscuit sticks and are utterly addictive. You can find them in most local grocery stores too, if you know where to look! I've already inhaled mine. Yum.
  • Washi Tape: I don't know if everyone received the same ones or if it was a variety, but the two rolls I got were a thicker blue tape with white flowers, and a very thin gray tape with a sort of blocky design on it. Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent to washi tape. I know it exists, and I do have a bullet journal that I could probably use it on - so it's not entirely wasted on me though. I like that it was a pretty unique item compared to things that I've seen in other boxes (both from subscribing myself and watching way too many videos on youtube). 
  • Stickers: I usually like getting stickers, but I didn't enjoy these. The ones I got were Naruto themed, though it was possible to receive Sailor Moon instead. I liked that they chose to go with two of the most popular, classic animes out there for one of their fandom-specific items in this box. It was a smart move, since even people who aren't deep in the genre will likely at least recognize them. Likewise, doing the fandom item as a sticker was a nice safe bet that I appreciate, especially since I didn't like the stickers. For me, it wasn't even that I'm not a huge Naruto fan, but rather the quality of the art on the stickers was lackluster in my opinion. Someone else who doesn't spend too much time staring at fanart all day might not have had the same problem though ^.^
  • Milk Carton Notepad: This was one of my favorite items, if only because it filled me with SO much nostalgia. This is the kind of kitchy little notepad that you get at a fandom store like Too Cool, or in the corner of Hot Topic nowadays. They're just a little bit smaller than your average post-it, are in the shape of a pink carton of milk, and are adhesive rather than tear-away, so they can be stuck to a surface with your note. It's cute, and useable, if not a bit unnecessary - but that's part of what makes it fun. 
  • Pocky Gel Pen: In the video that I'm going to link at the bottom of this post once it's ready, you'll notice that I call it a ballpoint pen and I sound very sure and full of myself about it. I even go on to talk about how well I know pens because I'm apparently extra like that. Guys, it's gel pen and I'm an idiot. POINT BEING. It's cute, and I love it, and I didn't know that I needed a Pocky Pen until I got one and now you can pry it from my cold dead fingers. 
  • Sushi Socks: These are cute! The color is LITERALLY matcha green, which I appreciate. The socks are standard socks and fit comfortably. I will NEVER say no to getting socks in a box. 
  • Chopsticks: These were very pretty and came with a little bag to keep them in. They feel like untreated wood and the design around the top is on a plastic sleeve that I know from experience will not last more than a couple of washings if I'm not careful. They also still had parts of what I think was the original price stickers on them. That ruined the magic a little bit, but it's not a bad item by any means. The little bad is the best part to be honest, as I'll probably just keep that and use it for a higher quality pair of chopsticks. 
  • Sailor Moon Tote Bag: This was easily the most impressive item. It's a very high-quality bag, too, and is described as being water-resistant. It's a small tote bag, which I honestly prefer, because I keep a small purse and having a tote bag to be able to put purchases in is very handy. Large tote bags can be cumbersome and often just end up sitting unused in a cabinet or the trunk of my car. This one I can see myself using regularly. Similar to socks, I will NEVER say no to a tote bag. 
  • The box also included an art print and magnet drawn/designed by the owner's daughter, featuring Emika Chen (the main character of Warcross by Marie Lu).

THE BOOK
Image result for seven deadly shadows
Seven Deadly Shadows
by Courtney Alameda & Valynne E. Maetani

Release Date: 1/28/2020
Genre: YA Fantasy || Paranormal || Urban Fantasy
Page Count: 360 || 376 including Author's Note and Glossary 
Goodreads Rating: 3.65

Synopsis || Per Goodreads
"Kira Fujikawa has always been a girl on the fringe. Bullied by her peers and ignored by her parents, the only place Kira’s ever felt at home is at her grandfather’s Shinto shrine, where she trains to be a priestess.


But Kira’s life is shattered on the night her family’s shrine is attacked by a vicious band of yokai demons. With the help of Shiro—the shrine’s gorgeous half-fox, half-boy kitsune—Kira discovers that her shrine harbors an ancient artifact of great power . . . one the yokai and their demon lord, Shuten-doji, will use to bring down an everlasting darkness upon the world.



Unable to face the Shuten-doji and his minions on her own, Kira enlists the aid of seven ruthless shinigami—or death gods—to help stop the brutal destruction of humankind. But some of the death gods aren’t everything they initially seemed, nor as loyal to Kira’s cause as they first appeared.



With war drawing nearer by the day, Kira realizes that if this unlikely band of heroes is going to survive, they’re going to have to learn to work together, confront their demons, and rise as one to face an army of unimaginable evil."

I have not read this book yet! However, I do intend to and it looks incredibly interesting to me. It's been described in a few other reviews as if someone took an anime and put it into a novel and well, I'm all about that. Yes, please. Once I do read the book I will be posting my review on the blog and I'll be sure to link it here as well. 

THINGS TO KNOW

  • SHIPPING || Unlike most other boxes (as I've seen) that ships in the second or third weeks of the month (between the 15th and the 20th usually), SpearCraft always ships out on the last day of the month. That means, depending on where you're at and if there are any delays, you likely won't get your box until the end of the first week of February or later. There was a shipping delay for my box and I received it on February 10th. 
  • PRODUCTS || According to their website, they make most of the items for their boxes themselves. Now, other than the art print/magnet and maybe the stickers, I don't think any of the items from this box were made in house. However, considering the theme, I can see why they would have had to compile it a different way. 
  • CRATEJOY || Their website/ordering process is through CrateJoy. While it's possible to create an account on their actual page, should you decide to sign up with them I highly recommend making an account FIRST through CrateJoy and then adding them that way. I went the other way around and was not able to modify my account until I got in touch with CrateJoy Customer Service. It wasn't a big deal or anything, and customer service was incredibly helpful, but something to be aware of. 

FINAL THOUGHTS

I thoroughly enjoyed this box, and I'm excited about the book. As a fan of anime and manga, this box was cute and nostalgic and worth the purchase. However, it was very different from their usual boxes so I don't think I can accurately judge whether or not this is a subscription for me! I am going to wait a while and then maybe try them again later in the year with one of their more usual sorts of themes. Either that, or I'm going to give their Quarterly Box a try. Their Quarterly Box is more expensive and it's once per season it seems, but I haven't been able to figure out what else is different about it. Maybe it has more items? I know that a portion of the proceeds of the Quarterly Box is donated to something (for the Spring box, I believe they're donating to help with the fires that have been happening in Australia?) but other than that I can't find what else is different. 

Altogether it was a fun experience and I'm excited for my next box! For February, I decided to try the Beacon Book Box! Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment